"I've just been diagnosed with HIV. What do I do now?"
5 steps to take now
- Remember that, if you take your HIV treatment regularly and lead a healthy lifestyle, your life expectancy will be the same as that of a person living without HIV.
- A healthy lifestyle is the key: stop smoking, don’t do illicit drugs, lower your alcohol consumption, exercise regularly, keep a healthy and balanced diet, and be sure to maintain good sleep hygiene.
- Be very selective in entrusting people with your HIV diagnosis. However, it may also be important to share this difficult moment with someone who you know will understand you.
- Keep those around you healthy: use a condom every time you have sexual intercourse to protect others and to protect yourself.
- Talk to a doctor with experience in treating patients with HIV.
"The moment I've got the diagnosis...": Real life stories