Information for pharmacists
- In this program, the pharmacist will explain to the patient that they will not be able to receive more patches if the current patches are not returned to the pharmacy.
- The pharmacist will counsel the patient on how to use and store their Teva-Fentanyl patches safely, and how to affix the used patches to the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet.
- When patches are returned, the pharmacist will document the number and date returned, and verify that the returned patches have not been tampered with.
- If a patient does not return any of their used patches, the pharmacy will dispense one patch, then contact the physician to determine the best course of action.
- The pharmacist will report any suspected abuse to the physician (and to the police if they suspect a criminal offence).
- The pharmacy will destroy used or returned patches as part of its drug-disposal procedure.