In this program, patients receive a Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet when they fill their prescription. They tape each used Teva-Fentanyl patch to this sheet and return the used patches to the pharmacy. When filling their next prescription, the patient will receive a number of new patches equal to the number returned. This reduces the opportunity for abuse and diversion, and the number of patches circulating in your community.
- In this program, the pharmacist will explain to the patient that they will not be able to receive more patches if the current patches are not returned to the pharmacy.
- The pharmacist will counsel the patient on how to use and store their Teva-Fentanyl patches safely, and how to affix the used patches to the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet.
- When patches are returned, the pharmacist will document the number and date returned, and verify that the returned patches have not been tampered with.
- If a patient does not return any of their used patches, the pharmacy will dispense one patch, then contact the physician to determine the best course of action.
- The pharmacist will report any suspected abuse to the physician (and to the police if they suspect a criminal offence).
- The pharmacy will destroy used or returned patches as part of its drug-disposal procedure.
- Most community health initiatives are now encouraging physicians to prescribe no more than 10 fentanyl patches per fill.
- The prescription should direct the pharmacy to collect used (or unused) patches before dispensing any more patches.
- Specifying a particular pharmacy, and faxing your prescription to that pharmacy, will also help prevent prescription duplication and altering of the prescription by the patient.
- If a patient does not return any of their used patches, the pharmacy will normally dispense one patch, then contact you to determine the best course of action.
Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet
The Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet is a secured patch return sheet for easy application and safe storage of Teva-Fentanyl patches. It has been designed with size markers to help easily identify the Teva-Fentanyl patches being returned. It has also been sized to fit into the patient’s prescription bag along with the patches being dispensed, and features additional adhesive to ensure used patches stick easily.
Download as a PDF for your reference only. The sizing and images on this PDF do not print to the exact size of the Teva-Fentanyl patch. For exact sizing and identification of returned patches, always use the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheet provided in your starter kit. To order a Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program starter kit or additional return sheets, please contact your Teva Canada Sales Representative.
Patient FAQs: This bag stuffer provides answers to patients’ frequently asked questions (FAQs) and can be distributed with the return sheet as a comprehensive overview of the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program.
Teva-Fentanyl Application/Usage Instructions: This bag stuffer details instructions for proper use and application of the Teva-Fentanyl patch, with a helpful step-by-step guide.
Patient Introduction: This bag stuffer can be used to alert patients in advance that they will need to participate in the program.
Additional bag stuffers are available to order from your Teva Canada Sales Representative.
Pharmacist letter to physicians
We’ve produced this letter to offer pharmacists a quick way to communicate with their physician partners. The letter can be personalized and sent to a physician to introduce and highlight the benefits of the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program to all stakeholders (pharmacists, physicians and patients).
Physician and pharmacist FAQs
This sheet reviews many of the FAQs asked by physicians and pharmacists, offering them ready answers to any questions they may receive.
Shared responsibility chart
This chart offers a quick overview and helpful reminder of pharmacist, physician and patient responsibilities in managing the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program.
Teva-Fentanyl Patch Identifier
A removable static poster, the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Identifier allows pharmacists and their staff to quickly determine if returned patches have been altered or are counterfeit.
Download as a PDF for your reference only. The sizing and images on this PDF do not print to the exact size of the Teva-Fentanyl patch. For exact sizing and identification of returned patches, always use the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Identifier provided in your starter kit. To order a Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program starter kit or additional patch identifier posters, please contact your Teva Canada Sales Representative.
Please note that the images on the poster depict unused patches. When patients return used patches, you will not see the wavy line marking as indicated on the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Identifier poster. This marking is part of the release liner that is discarded when a patient uses the patch. To confirm the authenticity of returned patches, please only compare them against patch size and prescription marking on the Teva-Fentanyl Patch Identifier poster. Please download the attached PDF for more information.
Emergency contact card
This card reminds patients to dial 911 or contact emergency services in the event of a fentanyl overdose.
A patient will receive this document when being counselled by a physician or pharmacist on fentanyl patch treatment. It outlines patient expectations while using Teva-Fentanyl patches and should be signed by the patient, physician and pharmacist.
Patch discrepancy form
This fillable PDF/fax form must be completed if a patient’s prescription returns with missing or altered patches. The pharmacist can use this form to notify the patient’s physician immediately.
This guide is for physicians who may initiate, maintain or discontinue buprenorphine/naloxone maintenance therapy. It covers:
- indications and contraindications for prescribing buprenorphine/naloxone
- warnings and precautions
- drug interactions
- initiation and dosing of buprenorphine/naloxone
For more information
For more information, check out our frequently asked questions (FAQs), speak with your Teva Canada Sales Representative or email TevaPharmacySolutions@crossworx.ca.
Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Program starter kits are free for Teva Canada pharmacy customers. To place an order, simply contact your Teva Canada Sales Representative or email Teva Pharmacy Solutions.
For independent pharmacies: Additional patch return sheets are free for Teva Canada customers, and can be ordered through your Teva Canada Sales Representative or through our secure online ordering site. Please note that shipping charges apply to all online orders. If you have any questions, please contact your Teva Canada Sales Representative or email TevaPharmacySolutions@crossworx.ca.
For retail chains: Many of our retail chain partners have made arrangements to manage the distribution of Teva-Fentanyl Patch Return Sheets (which are free for Teva Canada customers) through their head office. If you’re part of a retail chain, please contact your head office for details on how to order additional return sheets. You can also order through our secure online ordering site. Please note that shipping charges apply to all online orders. If you have any questions, please email TevaPharmacySolutions@crossworx.ca.
Direct all product-specific questions or concerns about the Teva-Fentanyl patch to:
Teva Canada Medical Affairs and Drug Information
1-800-268-4127 (option 3)
Used and returned Teva-Fentanyl patches must be disposed of according to your pharmacy’s narcotics disposal procedures. If you have any questions about the safe disposal of Teva-Fentanyl patches or other narcotics, please contact the regulatory body for pharmacy professionals for your province/territory.